SBPL

SBPL
The Best Deal in Town!

Monday, June 25, 2012

This Week at SBPL I Discovered ... The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

This week I watched all three movies based on Swedish author Stieg Larsson's trilogy, beginning with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009).  The first book was published in 2005.  The book's success and that of the two that quickly followed prompted the 2009 Swedish film trilogy featuring each of them : The Girl with the Dragon TattooThe Girl Who Played With Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  All three of these films feature Swedish actress Noomi Rapace in the title role of Lisbeth Salander.  Ms. Rapace is  currently making her Hollywood debut in the sci-fi thriller Prometheus, by the way.

I had already seen the 2011 Hollywood version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara and I had already read the first book of the trilogy but not the next two.  I liked both.  The story is by no means for children or even teens - it is strictly R-rated for sexuality and violence.  I did not find the graphic nature of the film gratuitous, but did found it intense and suspenseful, relevent to the nature of the story.  The plot focuses on the victory of good over evil, victim over fiend.  But, I won't say more so not to give away any surprises. 

The Swedish version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was different in some (not very important) ways from the story told in the book or of the book's Hollywood interpretation, but yes, there were differences.  I thought both versions were equally good, in terms of the story as well as the acting.  There are no American movie versions for the next two books, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in the near future.  I did enjoy the Swedish movies.  I watched the first with subtitles and the next two dubbed in English.  The dubbed versions were not at all "bad" or distracting in any way.

My reason for writing this post is not to review the film so much - though I recommend it highly for grownups who enjoy international adventure/intrigue and the kind of justice found on television shows such as Law & Order.  My purpose is to let you know that you can rent this gripping movie trilogy for just $3 ($1 for each movie borrowed) thanks to the South Brunswick Public Library movie collection.  Don't forget we also carry the print and audiobook versions as well.

All I needed to do was to go to my Library account online, locate the titles in the online catalog and then reserve each of them with a click here and there.  You can also just walk in and check the shelves in-person.  Before I knew it I had some excellent films waiting for pick-up for very little cost.  It's really that simple.  If you have any trouble just call for assistance at 732-329-4000, ext. 7286.  Movie rentals are $1 per film for a one-week loan period!

By Rosemary Gohd, SBPL PR/Marketing

No comments: